Friday, January 2, 2009

wow new car repairs are expensive!




On december 23rd We had a freak ice storm here. I went to the local grocery to buy nacho chips and some colby cheese for nachos. Well I got about 3 blocks away from home ( I was just creeping mind you) , I went to turn onto my street and my car slid to the left and slammed into a curb. I got lucky if I would have slid right I would have hit a light pole head on. Anyway I recently got the estimate of the damage to my car it equalled 1400 bucks in damage , Needless to say I about shit lol. The main steering assembly is busted , the rod that goes from the transmission to the left wheel was bent to hell. When I hit the curb at first I figured " ok I will just back up slow I didn't hit the curb that hard no big deal" wrong ! i backed up to get off the curb and my steering was completely gone and one tire was stuck left the other right . The weather was so bad the tow truck almost hit my car just trying to pick me up. The driver let me ride with him to my house , We got there and I got out of the truck and slipped and busted my butt on the street . So my lesson learned freezing rain I am keepin my happy ass at home .

3 comments:

Michelle said...

I still can't believe the total of the damage.

Mojo said...

My '76 Capri II met a similar fate back in '88 or maybe '89. The freezing stuff wasn't even enough to really keep the wipers busy, but it was enough to send me into a 4-wheel slide that ended with my whole right front suspension turned to a pile of scrap metal.

In that case it wasn't the money that was the problem as much as the fact that you just could find the parts. Not anywhere. This was pre-WWW days mind you, so today it might be a different story, but not even the aftermarket companies that specialized in Capri parts could help me out on this one. that particular model was only built for 2 years, and only a very limited number of them had the combination of a V-6 and power steering. The car never moved under its own power after that. Tough way to learn a lesson, 'cause I really loved that car.

coltfan said...

I have had trouble getting parts before as well. I had a 78 mustang transmission went out couldnt get one anywhere

Feel free to sign my guestbook at the bottom of my page and thanks for visiting.