Wednesday, February 11, 2009

I want your opinions

My wife and I watch a lot of the crime shows . In some states, I see if someone is on trial for something ,No matter what it is ,If there is a hung jury they walk away free .But in others they are put on trial again. Is that double jeopardy? Don't get me wrong guilty people should do time if they are found that way, but if a jury of your peers cannot decide is that not reasonable doubt. Innocent until proven guilty right. That does not mean have 2 or 3 trials to prove it. I am a strong believer you commit the crime do the time even if capital punishment for murder. But In my opinion the justice system needs an overhaul to make sure they have the right person before they go to trial . How many people have died for having been falsely accused ,Hard telling. My main point here is this unless you can prove it , one trial if you cannot prove it beyond reasonable doubt then by our founding fathers they are innocent. I would like your comments on this subject. I do believe justice should be served ,But make sure you have the right guy,or gal whichever the case may be. No more people should die for the wrongs of others whether criminal or government ,Which hard telling how many in history have. I would just like to see fair justice no matter what your status , Normal joe or famous don't matter. Yes I am on a rant but this country needs to shape up it has gotten beyond the point of sense. The justice system is not fair we all know it . If you have money you will get off if not you screwed. give me your opinions . And that is the way I see it

2 comments:

Speedcat Hollydale said...

Good question.

Let me preface by saying that some courts are in need of restructure because of technology. Many high profile cases are swayed by media, and with the new DNA testing many verdicts from the past would have had different outcomes.

To the doubhle jeopardy situation, or hung jury delegations to another court, I don't know if there is a solution. Lets take a for instance ...

One member of a jury is biased. They have a connection with the defendant or prejudice from recent circumstances. This "one" person could create a hung jury in a case where a guilty verdict is more than obvious. To let a defendant walk free would cause so many implications. It would also create a senario in which one juror could be singled out, pressured, and ultimately scared into holding out for a not guilty stand.
Unfortunately, I think providing another trial is a neccessary evil, or "double jeopardy" stand in our system.

coltfan said...

well the reason I say this I seen a show that one man had 3 trials before he was finally found guilty . to me that is rediculous.

Feel free to sign my guestbook at the bottom of my page and thanks for visiting.